Saturday, November 18, 2006

Guitar Guy

I was sitting at a Hotel Bar in Hawaii the other night, listening to some live music. When the set wrapped up, my friends and I noticed that there was a guy in the audience who had a guitar. We called over to him and asked him if he could play us something. My friend shouted out, "can you play some Ben Harper?" The guy with the guitar looked at his friend, they shrugged shoulders at each other and decided to go for it. They started in and it sounded ok. The guitar guy's friend was giving him all sorts of instructions. Guitar guy seemed really cramped and uncomfortable, trying to force this song out. They finished their effort and asked us again what we wanted to hear. At this point we were all sitting at the same table. My friends started calling out different songs. I looked at guitar guy, and I said, "What is your favorite song?" He replied, "oh, you don't want to hear country music... really, what do you want to hear?" I said, "I want to hear your favorite song, what is it?" He said, "really?" "Absolutely."

He started playing this country music song that I have never heard of and probably could not track down now. What happened was magical. When he started playing the song he was sitting down, and beaming from ear to ear as he sang. He stood up, and started wiggling his hips a little, and he was so cute! He completely lit up.

The next time someone asks you for a request, ask them to share with you their favorite song, their favorite photo, their favorite story, or their favorite creation. Then support, love and embrace them. I guarantee it will inspire and encourage both of you.

No comments: